Are you considering breast implants and wondering how you will be able to sleep postoperatively?
For the first several days after breast augmentation surgery, you will be required to sleep in an elevated position on your back. Sleeping in this position will reduce postoperative swelling and increase blood supply to breast tissue. The elevated sleeping position also keeps your breasts in a more natural position.
Getting a good night’s sleep after breast augmentation can be difficult due to discomfort and the need to follow specific post-surgery instructions. Here are a few tips to help you sleep more comfortably:
- Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions: Your provider will give you specific guidance on how to care for yourself after surgery, including recommendations for sleep. It’s important to follow these instructions closely.
- Take your medications as directed: Painkillers and other medications can help manage discomfort and may be prescribed after breast augmentation. However, some medications can interfere with sleep. Talk to your provider about any concerns you have with your medications and their potential impact on your sleep.
- Create a comfortable sleep environment: A cool and dark room, a comfortable bed, and minimal noise can all help you get a better night’s sleep.
- Engage in relaxation techniques: Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or mindfulness meditation may help you relax and fall asleep more easily.
- Avoid screens before bed: The blue light emitted by screens can disrupt your natural sleep-wake cycle, making it harder to fall asleep. Avoid screens for at least an hour before bed.
- Consider talking to a healthcare provider: If you are having persistent difficulty sleeping after breast augmentation, a healthcare provider may be able to offer additional guidance and support.
- When can you sleep lying down after breast augmentation?
- How long after breast lift and augmentation can I sleep on my side?
- Can I sleep on my back after a breast lift?
- Do I have to sleep upright after breast reduction?
- How long should I sleep elevated after explant surgery?
- What do breasts look like after explant?
- How long does it take for fat to settle after fat transfer?
When can you sleep lying down after breast augmentation?
Finding a way of how to sleep after breast augmentation surgery leaves you with very few options. For the first several days, your surgeon will require you to sleep on your back in an elevated position for the best postoperative outcome.
Although breast augmentation surgery is routine these days, it does not mean that it is not invasive and can have an extensive recovery period.
Laying on your back after surgery may not be your favorite sleeping position, but laying in an elevated position will help to reduce the swelling from the surgical procedure.
Your breasts need to rest in a natural position for the first few weeks, so lying on your back slightly elevated gives a proper and natural position for your breasts.
After about 7 days, you should lay flat on your back if you find this a more comfortable position.
To help with your recovery, you will wear a supportive bra to relieve the incision marks normally below the breasts.
It’s normal to experience swelling after breast surgery, so elevated laying on your back will help reduce the swelling.
Sleep is an important part of the healing process, and you now know how to sleep after breast augmentation surgery for the best results.
To help with sleep, you will have pain medication and take a warm shower before bedtime to help you relax.
When you are not lying in bed, walk around at regular intervals, this will help with circulation to your breasts and help to prevent blood clots from forming.
Plan your sleeping and get into a routine during the recovery phase, reduce caffeine from coffee and tea or soft drinks, choose teas like chamomile that have relaxing benefits.
How long after breast lift and augmentation can I sleep on my side?
In some cases, it can be as quick as two weeks, but the healing process takes a few months, so be aware that if you feel pulling in your breasts or chest muscles, you need to revert to sleeping on your back.
Take advice from your breast surgeon to avoid any unnecessary pain and discomfort.
Can I sleep on my back after a breast lift?
Sleep has amazingly good health benefits after surgery, and with a good night’s sleep, you will heal much faster.
You will need to know how to sleep after a breast lift to avoid unnecessary pain and discomfort.
Sleeping on your back is the best position to sleep after a breast lift. If you can be slightly elevated that will be even better.
Laying on your back in bed keeps your breasts in a natural position without putting undue tension on your chest muscles for support.
To get the best results from your surgery, you should sleep on your back for 8 to 12 weeks after surgery. Some websites say less, but the healing process takes a long time, so 3 months would be an ideal amount of time.
Do I have to sleep upright after breast reduction?
After any breast surgery, your surgeon recommends that you sleep elevated on your back.
This will help to reduce the swelling post-surgery. This is the same for a mommy makeover that requires a breast reduction.
If sleeping on your back is not your thing, then try to practise before the scheduled surgery, with the use of pillows can be a pleasant way to sleep while giving your postoperative breast surgery the best results for a great outcome.
Unfortunately sleeping on your back is the only way of how to sleep after breast reduction surgery.
Depending on your surgeon’s instructions, you may be required to sleep in this position for up to 12 weeks.
How long should I sleep elevated after explant surgery?
A minimum of 12 weeks. Having implants removed is still invasive surgery, and you will have an extended recovery time with specific directions of how to sleep after explant surgery.
With all breast surgery, the main requirement is to sleep on your back for up to 12 weeks to complete the healing process.
You will be required to sleep in an elevated position to reduce the swelling and place your breasts in a natural position during the healing process.
What do breasts look like after explant?
After explant surgery, your breasts will look a little saggy depending on the size of the implant that has been removed. Your breasts will no longer look full.
It’s not all gloom and doom, some procedures will make your breasts look natural after you have fully healed. Speak to your surgeon about techniques to make you look natural after an explant.
How long does it take for fat to settle after fat transfer?
6 to 12 months? Approximately 30% of the fat transferred into your breasts will be absorbed by your body, leaving the remaining 70% to act like normal fat and will change with weight gain and loss.
You definitely need to know how to sleep after fat transfer to breast surgery. You will need to sleep on your back slightly elevated position with your breast supported.
Your breasts need to be elevated to around 30 degrees while sleeping; this will be for at least 12 weeks.
Support your breast with pillows and a well-fitting supporting bra recommended by your surgical team.
Without support, you may not get the desired look you require from the surgical procedure.
While walking during the day, it is important to have adequate support for the fat transfer sites in your breasts.